Thursday, July 28, 2011

I Will Not Have My Child to Raise Over Again


You are worried about seeing [her] spend [her] early years in doing nothing. What! Is it nothing to be happy? Nothing to skip, play, and run around all day long?
Never in [her] life will [she] be so busy again.
~Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Emile, 1762





If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.


I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.


I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.


I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
~Diane Loomans, from "If I Had My Child To Raise Over Again"

Just a little reminder to myself that I cannot afford too many "maybe later's," or "not now's." I love my work, but I love my child more. I need money in the bank, but money cannot ensure my child's happiness the way my love can.

However, I have loads of hugs and kisses to share. I can make time for just me and her. I will make time for just me and her.

I played hopskotch with little one the other day - she was ecstatic and I was shocked. Why don't I do this more? I still had deadlines. I was still behind. Things were looming over my head. Yet, here I was playing hopskotch with lil' one and the world did not come to an end. As a matter of fact, the play got my brain working in ways that staring at a blank Illustrator canvas will never do. So why do I keep forgetting to go out and play?

Yes, this is an oldie post, but it's also a newbie because it ties into an initiative I'm a part of - October is Attachment Parenting Month. Parents, parenting professionals, and those who know that families are the foundation for a peaceful, compassionate and healthy global community are invited and encouraged to become and/or promote “Families at Play” during the fourth annual Attachment Parenting Month.

This post is part of the Attachment Parenting Month blog carnival, hosted by Attachment Parenting International.

Learn more by visiting API Speaks, the blog of Attachment Parenting International.

♥☺ Carmen

P.S. I hurt my neck playing hopskotch. How pathetic!

No comments:

Post a Comment