Monday, March 26, 2012

Happy Meals - Eating in Courses

My new favorite thing (or something I have kind of always done here and there, but have now adopted as my way) is eating in courses - casually. Lil' one and I have often eaten this way, especially when I'm coming up with dinner on the fly and grab stuff here and there from the fridge and pantry.

I am always looking for ways to make household responsibilities less laborious. This is one way for me. I don't have to hear lil' one moan and groan about how hungry she is while I try to finish an entire meal. I get to eat while the rest of the meal is cooking. By the time we are enjoying our last course, we are nourished and content. Today's "Happy Meal"...

First Course ~ Tomato & Cucumber Salad
This is a light, fresh, and quick way to START the meal while the rest of dinner is in the works. I also like the idea of starting with vegetables.



Second Course ~ Sauteed Green Beans & Red Onions

This turned out to be a second course because my sweet potatoes were still baking and fish grilling. However, it was still enjoyable because one, we were having yet another vegetable and two, we were enjoying the flavors of the caramelized onions and the sweet and crunchy green beans.

Third Course ~ Baked Sweet Potato & Grilled Striped Bass (optional)

Before we were even finished with the green beans, the potatoes and fish were done. No waiting and no hunger pangs. I like having the fish (or other animal protein) last because this puts more emphasis on vegetables and grains. Today, the fish was optional. We had a few bites and decided that we would save the fish for tomorrow's meal.

 Dessert ~ Clementines



So the French have this way of eating down-packed.  I love this blog post which outlines a traditional French meal.



* Click on pictures to go to source...

1 comment:

  1. This looks so yummy and refreshing, I might try it one day :) Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete